This programme area is responsible for the STI/HIV surveillance to monitor trends and magnitude of the disease conditions under the preview of National STD/AIDS Control Programme (NSACP). In addition, annual HIV burden estimation and Projection, conducting special surveys related to HIV has been entrusted to the Epidemiology and Surveillance programme area.
- STI surveillance
- STI surveillance
- HIV surveillance
- Behavioral surveillance/ Integrated Bio behavioral surveillance
- People living with HIV (HIV Burden) estimation and projections
- Special Surveys
Scope of work
- To work within and support the relevant NAC technical working group to develop and regularly up-date national policies, strategies, guidelines, protocols, and standardized operational procedures (SOP) for implementation of STD, HIV surveillance in Sri Lanka.
- To collaborate with senior management team (SMT) and other relevant authorities in decision making and carrying out of STD, HIV surveillance.
- To work with other NSACP Units to develop comprehensive and coordinated plans for implementation of the National Strategic Plan and other relevant activities.
- To coordinate and work in partnership with public, private, civil society organizations, and development partners at local, national, and international level.
- To maintain the STD, HIV surveillance activities in the National STD/AIDS Control Programme in quality assured manner and development of timely reporting for action.
- To coordinate with and support institutions within and outside the Ministry of Health in the expansion of appropriate, high-quality STD, HIV surveillance.
- Training and capacity building of individuals/institutions in the public, private and civil society organizations on STD, HIV surveillance, when and where appropriate, in partnership with relevant programme areas in the NSACP.
- To supervise and monitor the quality of STD, HIV surveillance in the programme.
- Provision of technical support, assistance and guidance to provinces, districts and other organizations and agencies in improving quality of STD, HIV surveillance.
- Need assessment and provision of technical assistance for supply and procurement of necessary items or services for STD, HIV surveillance.